February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day 2008...

is a day that we will never forget.

Whenever people talk about memorable Valentine's dates and things they have received from their significant others, the one I think about in our relationship is our first one.

We had been dating for 6 months and here is how the day went:

I was at work (at SportChek), and I got a text from J saying he had hurt his arm and was on his way to the Rockyview. I called him to make sure he wasn't just messing with me and he wasn't. Being at work, I couldn't leave so I had to wait until I was off and could borrow my parents' car to head down there.

I was so scared and worried about him. I remember crying and praying the whole way to the hospital just because I didn't know what had happened and how bad it was.

When I got there he was waiting for the surgeon to come and take a look at it so we spent most of the night just hanging out in the ER waiting for the surgeon. He was working at an aluminum factory and had gone up a ladder and was working above a fan and had to turn it off and the fan was above the fan (stupid) and his elbow went out as he was going up the ladder and sliced his arm. Now this fan was an exhaust fan, with blades about 4 feet long and 6-8 inches wide.

Once the surgeon came, he had to look at his arm and see the extent of the damage. I decided it would be a great idea to look at see the damage too. BIG MISTAKE on my part. I am not normally a squeamish person. I watch ER and CSI and have issues with those bloody messes they have on those shows, but with the shock I was in and having not eaten much that day, it just added to seeing the inside of his arm. (to this day, he is jealous that I got to and he didn't)

The nurse that was helping the surgeon got me to sit down and got me some juice and then I went to the cafeteria and got some food and felt much better. The surgeon was able to fix him up a little while later and then we were able to go home. He had nicked a nerve under his elbow and so the doctor had to sew it and then sew his arm closed. I think he got about 40 stitches. (that could be wrong)

He ended up being off work for about 6 weeks and wasn't able to feel anything in his pinky finger for awhile, because of the nerve he had nicked.

Anywho, here is a then and now picture of his arm.

So here is J's arm after the accident and the hospital,

Here is his arm tonight. I made him let me take a picture of it so I could get a before and after type of shot. It looks so much better and you can only sort of see the scar that is there. He has most of his feeling back and only some parts of his pinky and hand he can't feel.

Whenever we talk about what to do for Valentine's Day, I tell him that as long as we aren't in the hospital, I'm good :)

This year we kept it pretty low key. Last night we went to Montana's for dinner and then we went to see The Vow, while my momma watched the munchkin for us. I have Cubs on Tuesday nights, so we couldn't really do anything tonight for V-day. 

I do have amazing boys though because this is what I received today from my boys. 

Flowers and Lindor chocolates from my hubster.

My little munchkin made me a card, got me Swedish berries and flowers too. 

The inside of the card from Joey. 

I was going to get Joey's jammies for bed when J told me to take him with me and this is what I found when I opened his door. Streamers and balloons and also where I found the flowers, card and candy. 

J also found out that our boy does not like balloons. Strange. 

Anywho, hope you all had a great Valentine's Day!

xoxo

No comments: