September 10, 2012

Domestication

My mom has been a canner for as long as I can remember and I've always loved helping her and watching her do it.

Because of her health, she hasn't felt up to doing it but this year, she was feeling up to doing some so I decided to do some as well and learn how to do it.

We went to the Farmers Market at bought 30 lbs of cucumbers, 20 lbs of peaches and 40 lbs of Roma tomatoes.

We were able to make 30 jars of pickles, 10 jars of peaches, 9 jars of spaghetti sauce and 10 jars of chili sauce.

It was a lot of fun learning more from my mom and spending the time with her. We always have a fun time in the kitchen with each other.

Here are pictures from what we did:

Some of the cucumbers waiting to be made into delicious pickles. 

25 of the 30 jars we did of pickles. 

10 jars of peaches. (syrup made with honey instead of sugar)

9 jars of spaghetti sauce and 10 jars of chili sauce. 

On another note, we had our annual ward Labour Day picnic and there was a chili and pie contest so I made a Strawberry Cream pie and won for best non-bake pie. (it was my first pie ever, I made a trial pie the night before at our family dinner)


Enjoy the pictures!

xoxo

1 comment:

CASSIE said...

Wow!! Look at you go! I've always wanted to be an avid "canner" too.... Thanks for sharing some inspiration :)