December 14, 2009

Not Impressed...

So last Tuesday, I had one of the worst days in a long time. I was in a meeting at work and the meeting was taking place just across from where my desk was. My HR Manager, who was writing stuff on the board stops and lets me know that there is someone behind my desk. I got up, went outside and asked him if I could help him. He said that he needed to use a phone because his battery on his cell phone had died. I asked him if he was a student, he said that he was not but his sister was and he was picking her up. I then led him up to reception and directed him to a phone that was outside for anyone to use. I went back to my meeting and then after the meeting, went back to my desk and finished up some work before it was time to head home. 

When I was getting ready to go home, I grabbed my purse and took out my socks to put on my boots, and realized that my wallet was not in my purse, and I knew that I had brought it to work with me because I used it at lunch. I looked all around my desk, inside my desk, by the garbage, and all over, but couldn't find it. I then went to see our HR manager and just double checked with her to see if he had actually been behind my desk. She confirmed that he was and I then said that I think he may have stolen my wallet. I then called to cancel my credit cards and after calling and cancelling the first one,  I called the second one and found out that it had been used that day, and I hadn't used it at all. He used it three times, and attempted a fourth but since there wasn't enough money on it, it didn't go through. If it had gone through, it would've been for almost $500 that he would've taken from me.

I had absolutely everything in my wallet. My drivers, my birth certificate, my Alberta Health Care, my marriage certificate (since I've been in the process of changing my name over), my credit cards, my debit card, my points cards for a lot of places, my temple recommend, and a lot more. I felt so sick to my stomach, especially when I realized how much was in there. It was pretty much my entire life that was in that wallet. I called the police and the lady I spoke with said they would send a police officer to my house so I packed my stuff up and walked to my car and drove home. 

I got home, did some stuff and then the police showed up at the same time that J showed up. I filled out the statement (our second one in two weeks, my car got broken into while we were at the Bennett's for their Christmas party. J forgot to lock the car, and whoever went into my car, went through my glove compartment, but didn't take anything, didn't take my CDs, my iPod, but took our gift bag from the Jaeger party that had two travel mugs, a box of chocolates, $50 Keg Gift Card and a tool set), so anyways, I filled out the statement, told the police everything I could think of and then they left and I got ready for Cubs and went to Cubs. 

The next day, I went to get a new license, birth certificate and marriage certificate, and of course a new debit card so that I could have the money to pay for the above. When I cancelled my credit cards, they said they would send me new cards, so those are on their way. 

On Friday, I was at work and my cell phone rang. It was a constable letting me know that my wallet had been turned in. A lady that works at the Husky close by had found it in the garbage can (I guess they tend to find lots in the garbage cans). The wallet was kind of trashed from being in the garbage can, and most of my cards were in there. I am still missing my two credit cards, my Airmiles and Safeway card, my Esso & Petro points cards and my Scene card. I think that is all. 

I am so thankful that the rest of my stuff was in there. I don't know what I would've done if everything was gone. It really makes me grateful for the tender mercies that are shown and given to us by such a loving Heavenly Father.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Man, how horrible, but I know how grateful a few little happy finds can be. Hugs!