I know its been forever since I've blogged but life gets crazy and when I try and figure out what to write, nothing comes to mind.
And when things happen in your life, sometimes you need time to process them before you write them down, as is the case with me, in this instance anyways.
Two weeks ago, we were at church. I teach Primary and was in the Primary room and J had been in nursery with Joey and then he went to the joint meeting (it was the 5th Sunday). It was around 11:30 or maybe closer to 11:45 when a girl in our ward came rushing into the Primary room and said for me to come quick because there was something wrong with J. She looked absolutely freaked out, which made me worry even more. My first thought was that he had had a heart attack. With J's weight being what it is, I guess that is something that has concerned me for awhile.
I ran into the RS room and saw him lying on the floor with my mom and other people around him. I rushed to him and he was making some noise I've never heard him make before, almost like snoring. Brother Bourne, who is a member of our bishopric told me that he was having a seizure. He had bit his tongue and so there was some blood coming out of his mouth too and he was just staring into space almost. One of the first things I noticed was his eyes. His pupils were so big I couldn't even tell what the color of his eyes was.
I really don't know how long it was before he came out of it but before he did, Brother Bourne and Dave Root (our EQ president) gave him a blessing and I'm so grateful they did. He finally started to come to and "wake up" and we got him to sit against the wall to he could lean against something. Our RS president's husband had called 911 and she had gone to the other ward in our building to see if they had a nurse or doctor and one of them was a nurse so she came in to help assist us too.
The paramedics came and asked J questions, some he knew the answers to and some he didn't. They then took him to the hospital and then the tears and more worrying happened.
I've always known we have great friends in our ward, but when something happens, you really find out just how great your friends are. We had so many offers for watching Joey and one of our friends, made sure the paramedics knew where to go and then he made sure I had a ride to the hospital and offered to watch Joey. (him and his wife even made us dinner for the next night that was delicious)
My mom drove me home with Joey so I could get some clothes and stuff that Joey would need and we took him over to my parents so my dad could watch him and put him down for a nap and then my mom and I went to the hospital. And cried more on the way. I knew he was going to be fine, but I just hated not knowing anything.
By the time we got back to the hospital J was pretty much back to his "normal" self and was trying to piece things together. He doesn't remember a whole lot from what happened which is understandable.
Being as it was his first time having a seizure, they wanted to run tests to see if they could figure out why he had the seizure. He had blood work and a CT done at the hospital and both of those came back normal. He was also given strict instructions to not do anything that could cause danger to himself or anyone else should he have another seizure. (driving, heights, swimming, baths, etc.) He hates the no driving thing the most. Its been a lot of adjusting but we are making it work. He has been able to walk to work most days or get a ride which has been good. He can't drive for a minimum of three months, and depending on his results of his other tests, that could be extended.
We went for a follow up with the Urgent Neurology Clinic and met with a neurologist who asked J a bunch of questions and the now has to go for an EEG and an MRI to see if they can figure out why he had the seizure. Our thoughts are that he has just been overworked/overtired which are two of the top triggers for seizures.
So that is what we know for now and we are really hoping this was a one time thing and he never has one again. I really don't want to go through that again. That was not a fun experience.
Once we get his results and stuff I'll post how that is going.
xoxo
July 14, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh wow Marni! I had no idea! That must have happened over the Canada long weekend? Talk about scary stuff for J, and you and your whole family! I hope that you guys (especially J) receive some answers regarding his seizure. I hope everything is smooth sailing from here on out. You guys are in our prayers most definitely! To experience something like this- and then share your feelings and perspective was really brave. Hang in there. Hugs. Xo
Ps. Since its after midnight... HAPPY BIRTHDAY COUSIN :) I hope this year brings you lots of good health and happiness. Here's to celebrating memories!!
Oh no! We had no idea. He looked great this weekend. I guess this happened while we were away for Canada Day. So sorry to hear. I told your mom that I can only imagine the roller coaster of emotions your family has been through this week......and little did I know how much that is true! Wow. She didn't even say anything. We will keep you all in our prayers. Trials certainly are never easy. Looks like J will be having some "goals" of his own. ; ) Feel silly now talking about my next goal being able to dance. : S Here's to J driving again soon. I truly know what that feels like to be told you can't drive. It's hard...depending on rides from others. Hang in there.
By the way......it was a great wedding reception for David and Chantelle. Your family and hers did an amazing job. Glad we could be a part of it.
And as Cassie said....."HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!"
Oh my goodness! That is crazy and scary!! Hopefully you guys will get some answers quick!
Post a Comment