I think challenging may be the best word to describe it.
On Sundays, I teach a group of kids that are turning 7 and 8 this year. I have 6 or 7 kids each week, depending on who comes. For the most part, they are great kids. They do like to talk and sometimes it takes us awhile to get through the lesson, but they give good answers and like when we play The Log Game after the lesson.
There a few kids in my class that can be a challenge for me, and lately one in particular that seems to give me so much attitude for a 7 year old that I sometimes don't know what to do. She talks back, doesn't listen to me when I tell her to put her chair down, put her shoes on, put her skirt down, etc. It seems that sometimes she just likes to test me and just not listen to me to see what I will do.
I am in need of help/suggestions on how to "handle" this child and any of the other kids in my class that do this. I want to be able to keep the Spirit in my class and have them enjoy the lessons and want to come to church and Primary on Sundays.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)
xoxo
June 5, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
oh Marni! I have been there with the exact same age group last year. My biggest help was inspiration that came from heavenly father. Pull her aside after class (after praying about it) and tell her what you love about her. Give her a special assignment for your class hat is exclusive to her. It helped me a lot. Catch her in the act of being good. She might not change completely but hopefully you will see a change :)
good luck :)
Although I don't teach the 7-8, I do teach the 3-6 in my primary and I usually have around the same amount and I agree!! It can be very difficult!! Especially getting them to know how much Christ loves them. Good thing thier smart.
One thing that helps me is that I have what I call attention grabbers. Things like (especially when they get outta hand) I say "I'm going to close my eyes and count to 3, and the most reverent child will get to help me" or if they are being too noisy I quietly whisper (and do the actions) "if you can hear me touch your nose, if you can hear me touch your ears... etc" until they are all calm again.
One thing you may want to invest in is called Sunday Savers from the bookstore. Mine is a life saver, because it has activites that directly correspond to the lesson you are teaching.
Email me if you want more tips, I got loads of them: lacyshenry@gmail.com
Post a Comment