July 8, 2011

Thoughts?

Okay all you mommas and really anyone in general. I need your thoughts and opinions on some things.

We've just had our third prenatal class and last night we talked about medical interventions and all that fun stuff. I've also been reading through the From Here Through Maternity book which has also been quite resourceful and then there is the wonderful internet to find things to freak you out even more about giving birth.

So my question to you is, what did you find helped you most for labour and delivery, what would you recommend and not recommend and also just any other general advice or thoughts you may have on this topic (I know there is lots of it)

Thanks! And Happy Friday!
xoxo

7 comments:

CASSIE said...

When I was pregnant with *B* Jon and I had made a simple and personal birthing plan... Basicially some things that we had "hoped" we could stick to, and some things we wanted to avoid. When we went to the Hospital- we gave it to the nurses so they could read it and help us stick to it as much as possible. (Email me if you want a copy of mine as an idea.) But basically, what it came down too- was that it was a gambled-guideline. In the end, the biggest thing for us, was about saving our Babies life, and doing whatever it took for *B's* and mine safety, and not about maintaining preferences. It totally seemed trivial. We were able to follow through on some aspects, but had to deviate a lot on others. Somtimes, things can happen so quickly, (that in an emergency) your original goals won't really matter when it comes down to the final hour/minutes. So just be open to ideas that ay present themselves in an instant. Be ready and be FLEXIBLE. That way, if they DO have to occur, your mentally and emotionally prepared. The physical will always take time... but you won't be helping the situation if you haven't given the "what if" thought a chance ;) Speaking from personal experience-- Sometimes, Its just more about the "hear say" from other women that puts the fear and innorgance into personal choices about what they don't want to do or take during labor/delivery Ie) drugs, procedures, preferences etc. SO-- in the end, just remember that everyones experience is different, and everyone womens bodies are different, and every baby that comes into this world has its OWN agenda. The BEST thing you can do, is stay healthy and rested at all times. Because you're going to need your energy during the labor and recovery and when you go home ;) I would also reccemend having J give you a Husband's blessing at "Go" time if time is permitted. That way, you BOTH can stay calm and strong and focussed. Hang in there! You'll do fine ;) ♥

CASSIE said...

I was giving this some more thought, and realized that I hadn't even mentioned MY favorite "techniques" for the contractions that I had for 13+ hours... LOL
-Walking the hall, and doing squat stretches with Jon for support.
-Rocking on the birthing ball in a hot shower, and having Jon rub my lower back.
-I purchased a small hand vibrating massager, and Jon would use that on me for tense neck, back, and leg muscle spasms when I had them.
-I know it sounds lame, but the "birthing breathing" and sometimes "funny groans" you see and hear in prenatal class, TOTALLY works and helps!
-I used the microwave bean bag your Mom gave us as a wedding gift; for relieving pressure on my lower back and hips. (Heat seemed to help me a lot.)
-Staying hydrated with water and juice when you're allowed.
-Rotating positions in bed.
-Praying and just trying to sleep during the quiet "in between" moments.
-And sometimes even just being distracted by quick conversation, quiet music, or dimmed lights was nice too.

OOH YA! Be sure to have J (or whomever else is with you if they can) jot down in point form "hourly" updates as they come. Time and length of contractions, medications given, progress, tricks and tips that worked, room changes, etc. etc. Because then its always nice to have it later for detailed recording in the baby book and to make reference to it in the future for other babies you may have- and how you handled each labor/delivery ;) You'll never be able to memorize it on your own!

Ashley Smith said...

Be flexible with what happens. It is good to know what you want but the world doesn't end if it goes a different way. I have known people who have no toubles, I have known people who have laboured for 30+ hours and eneded in section.

I am really no help as all of my kids were by c-section. However I will tell you if you end up with a section it is okay. They give you great drugs and it doesn't hurt to pee. Don't be scared.

Good Luck.

Freya said...

First of all, remember your body was created for this! Your body is capable!

Secondly, in all my research the same thing kept coming up. Intervention leads to intervention. I'm not against pitocin or pain drugs or cesareans or whatever, but just know with each intervention you are more likely to have another, which an ultimately lead to a cesarean. And a cesarean means a longer, more painful healing process!

My other little tidbit for you would be to read up of breastfeeding before baby arrives! It's tough, but so worth it. The benefits for both of you are unbelievable. The WHO recommends 2 years and beyond, which I never would have known (and it gave me my 2 year goal, which I met) unless I read!

Use the shower, the ball, breathe, dim the lights and ask for quiet if you need it. It's tough, but you can do it!!!

Freya said...

ahem *can* lead to cesarean...

tonya said...

I see no need to suffer if you do not have to. That said, one of the most helpful things for me was to remember that i was suffering to give life and it was probably the time I felt closest to the Savior because He too suffered to give life. For all the physical of it, it helps to think about the spiritual of it to provide that "push" :) to go on. You don't need a lot of advice-it will happen even if you aren't ready or if you decide on the way to hospital that you have changed your mind about having a baby :) God go with you!

Unknown said...

I can ACTUALLY respond to this! Since last week I was in the process of my 21 hr Labor with my very first.

For me what helped the most was breathing and remembering to relax. Focal points help keep your focus on the breathing which with some contractions I found really hard. I also used my hands and knee's and rocked to my breathing. I did it in the shower with hot water on my back, on the bed, used a chair. We also used petting, were my doula and mike would stroke down my arms, legs and back as I breathed out.

I wanted to go as natural as possible, and I endured 20 hours before having to go with a Epidural. My baby was turned so he was facing out towards my belly and my not my spine (one of the most painful ways to birth.) I had to have Amnioinfusion because my water emptied so fast taking away pretty much all of the cushioning around babies head and my body started to attempt pushing at 6 cm. Not fun. So on top of the breathing We also used sounds. Futher along we breathed out "Slooow" together and when my body started to push I ended up yelling to "stop" the pushing. Now it was the early pushing that really ruined my chances at a all natural birth in which I tried the Gas for an hour and then Fentanyl for 4 hours in order to take the edge off the massive discomfort that the pushing on a un dialited Cervix creates. Keep in mind what happened to me probably won't happen to you. My labor shoved it's self into the 2% of happening category. Feel free to ask me about everything if you can catch me on Facebook and ask away. The nurses where bragging about how well I did considering the situation I had.