I am still fairly new at teaching youth in the Church and so I'm not too sure how to approach this.
For those of you of my readers who are more experienced in this, I welcome your advice and opinions on what I should do in this situation.
I've only ever really taught the Primary aged kids so I've never had to deal with any that were having a rough time with their testimony or the Church. One of my Seminary students is in that situation and I'm not too sure how to approach it. They still come to class but at times they are not participating and at other times are rude about it.
In class yesterday I asked each one of them if they could have any calling in the Church, what would it be? When it came to their turn, they responded by saying that they didn't want one because they didn't like the Church.
I was taken aback and I said okay and moved on with the lesson. I didn't know what to say at all to that. I've had family members who were not friendly towards the Church but I don't think I've seen it in youth at such a young age. Not that I remember anyways. Sure there were some of the youth that I grew up with that are no longer active or anything like that, but I just feel that this is really important to address, but I don't know how to.
I haven't been able to stop thinking about this and what I can do, or I should do anything.
I really could use some advice and guidance if you have any :)
xoxo
November 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I commend you for recognizing a need in one of your students ;)
That right there, says that you are a better teacher than you realize...
Although I don't know the entire situation of this "student"--nor have I had too many personal experiences in teaching youth, I can tell you that this "student" is obviously lashing outwardly; because of some sort of an inward struggle.
The best advice I can give you, is to remain this "student's" friend first and foremost. Sometimes at that age (if you can remember ;D) it is more important for someone to feel that they are not alone or abandoned... then it is to feel encouraged to "believe" or "participate."
They're obviously still attending Seminary for a reason... even if they "didn't like the Church."
Whether "Mom and/or Dad make them go"-- they still choose to walk into the classroom, rather than hide in the hall ;)
Sometimes, people get mixed up with the "Culture" of our Religion, then they do with the actual gospel principles-- and justify their negative feelings and excuse their poor behavior because of it.
For instance, this "student" may have recently found themselves 'offended' by another "member", and may be using the "church" as a scapegoat for their anger!?
Whatever the reason may be... I think you should pray for this student, and perhaps have a special fast for them. Ask for guidance on how to approach their delicate needs and testimony.
It may not have anything to do with the Church at all! They could be playing it 'cool' to cover up some struggles from within their home, personal relationships, or even at school...
Either way... you're doing a fantastic job :) Maybe next time, try to put the question back on them, before you move forward. Get them to really think about why they said what they said... other students are listening as well, and are probably internalizing what they heard too.
Hang in there! You'll find a solution soon enough :) ♥ ♥ ♥
I agree with Cassie. Totally. This student obviously trusts you with their thoughts. Otherwise you might of just got an "I don't know" or a shoulder shrug.
I would pray and let the spirit guide you. You are right to not just let this go. I think the spirit is telling you so. Find some time or someway to invite this student to talk with you more about this. Just one on one. Don't judge. Don't say anything. Just listen. And then speak only when the spirit asks you to.....to share YOUR thoughts and feelings. To share your testimony. And most importantly......to let this student know that you REALLY REALLY do care and want to be there for them. As it is obvious that you do.
I 100% agree. Reach out, but don't show an ounce of judgement.
I've been in the Yw's program as a leader and one of the things that I realized was that I was old enough to have a little bit of wisdom when it came to dealing with situations BUT also young enough for the youth to feel really comfortable around me. I had a a few good talks with some of the girls.
I know you can remember being that age, because I can to.
I also know you remember some of the youth that we went to seminary with and looking back personally I remember a few that had troubles with the church, or something about it. Now think about the ones the came out if it and why ... and think about the ones that didn't. The key in all of those situations was fellowshipping ... whether by a student, or a teacher :) A good friend can do wonders. I know I had a few of those when I was a teenager, and I don't know what I would have done without them.
Ask the Lord for help Marns, he will not let you down!
I had wrote out a cool whole long thing and it disappered :'(
Marni as you know I left the church for many years, many good and bad things came from it all, I was not negative towards the church, I just felt it wasnt what I needed at that point in my life....and well I didnt not study the church well I was gone, I can tell you those things I learned did not leave my mind either!
Two things moments that stand out very very clear still in my mind and I have now been active for many years but I still need some remeinders at times...
The first one would be about seminary....I struggleed to be there so much with everything going on in my life, but a sweet spirited teacher ( I hope she doesnt mind here name here but I think she might need to know too how much this touched me) Sister Emery, she knew this whole group stuggled to stay awake and each day she had something for us to eat and I think once a week she made a big breakfast for us, she also got everyone there own scriptures as there was a few of us that didnt have them or or the desire to bring them and they stayed there but the most importnat thing she did was when I stopped going she brought me a package to school to help me keep up and a note that she missed me....that was the best moment I remember of seminary...
the second memory is of my young women leader who went above the call....Sister Crapo will forever hold a special place in my heart she is still my cheerleader on my down days when I post on my blog, when I was a letter only VTing person, Sister Crapo would write a letter every month and each month I would normally only ever read the note on the back and just think, she was the one that firmly taught how important a temple mariage was to me, and at the time she was writing me letters there was no possible way for me to have that temple mariage and how was I going to raise my kids and all those fun things and it made me think within the couple months of the letters coming I made some HUGE changes to my life, and I have been forever blessed because of those choices, but it was the help of a leader that cared and reminded me the things I was missing out on and what that meant to my life.
Both these people and many others helped me to see the blessings that come from the gospel one thing I know I have to remind myself of often is that the church is perfect but the people arent always not that they are not trying but sometimes we are just at different points in our lives...
pray and you will know how to touch this youth....they are looking for that love and support and you will do well....
Sorry this is so long but I know you can do this and leave that special mark on someones heart....
I would agree with a lot of what has been said. I came across a bit of this when I was a counselor at EFY (though I didn't really know that one of my kids was struggling with his testimony), but I think that along with being there for your students, and showing that you care, I think that bearing your testimony about the blessings of the Church, or what you know to be true is really important. The kids relate to you, and I know that they see you as an example, so being really open with your testimony could help.
But the most important thing would be to pray to have the Spirit with you to guide you to do what would be best.
Post a Comment